Chicken and dumplings.
You can cook Chicken and dumplings using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and dumplings
- It’s 2-3 lbs of chicken (whatever cut you prefer).
- Prepare 1 quart of chicken broth.
- You need 1 quart of water.
- Prepare 2 T of butter.
- It’s 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 3 T of Crisco.
- You need 1 t of baking powder.
- Prepare 3/4-1 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare of to taste salt and pepper.
- Prepare of to taste Garlic powder.
Chicken and dumplings step by step
- In large pot, cover chicken with water, chicken broth, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder..
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer over med-low heat until tender (approx 1 hour)..
- Remove cooked chicken and set aside to cool (keep broth in pot). Shred when cool..
- In large bowl, combine flour, Crisco, tsp salt and baking powder. Mixture will be crumbly..
- Start with 3/4 cup buttermilk and add more if needed to make a dough, knead and roll to approx 1/4 inch thick..
- Cut into strips and add to boiling chicken broth. Reduce heat and simmer approx 10-15 min..
- Add chicken back to pot and simmer for another 10-15 min. Serve..
- Note: Vegetables can be added at beginning if preferred. Add any or all of the following: 3 large carrots, peeled & diced; 1 med yellow onion, diced; 3 stalks celery, diced; 1 cup peas..