Chicken and dumplings.
You can cook Chicken and dumplings using 22 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and dumplings
- You need 6 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 3 of bay leaves.
- It’s 5 of fresh thyme sprigs.
- It’s 4 of garlic cloves, peeled.
- You need 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped carrots.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped celery.
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 3 tbsp of butter.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves, minced.
- It’s 3 tbsp of flour.
- It’s 1 cup of frozen peas/asparagus.
- Prepare 1 of rotisserie chicken, shredded.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s of Dumplings:.
- Prepare 2 cup of flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 2 of eggs. lightly beaten.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chives, for garnish.
Chicken and dumplings instructions
- In large saucepan, combine first 5 ingredients. Bring to boil. reduce heat, simmer for 30 min. Strain and set aside..
- Saute carrots and celery in oil and butter in a 6 qt sauce pot on med until tender. Add minced garlic for 1 min. Whisk in flour until blended and add broth. Bring to boil. Cook 2 min until thickened..
- Add peas and return to boil. Cook 3-5min. Stir in chicken and cream, heat through. I use asparagus instead of peas..
- For dumplings: combine flour,,baking powder, salt and cayenne in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk and eggs in a bowl. Stir into dry ingredients until moist. ** I use half the amounts for dumplings and have plenty to cover chicken mixture. **.
- Drop by tablespoonsfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer 20 min or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean and do not lift lid while simmering. Garnish with chives.