Varenyky (Ukrainian Dumpling).
You can have Varenyky (Ukrainian Dumpling) using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Varenyky (Ukrainian Dumpling)
- Prepare of Dough:.
- It’s 500 grams of Flour.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- It’s of Filling:.
- You need 6 of large potatoes.
- It’s 1 of large onion.
- You need of Oil.
- Prepare of Herbs (Dill, Oregano, Parsley, laurel, garlic).
- Prepare of Salt and Pepper.
- It’s of Garnishing:.
- It’s of Onion, oil, yoghurt or sour cream.
Varenyky (Ukrainian Dumpling) instructions
- Filling: Peel the potatoes, chop in quarters, boil with garlic and laurel until soft. Fry diced onion until golden brown. Set aside..
- Drain the water, take out laurel leaves, add salt and pepper to taste, don't forget the herbs, and add half of the fried onion, set aside the rest of the onion. Mash everything until you get this nice smooth texture..
- Dough: Add flour, beaten egg, salted water, in a bowl. Mix everything until you get this elastic-firm texture. You may add some flour from time to time while performing this step. Set aside and cover with a towel or lid..
- By this time, the filling should have cooled down. Take out the dough that has been sitting for about 15-20 mins, knead it making sure you have four on the surface to avoid the dough from sticking while working on this step..
- Knead the dough until 5mm thick, then cut circles using a regular sized glass..
- Put a teaspoon of the filling into one of the cut circles and seal it up in a fashion like on the picture. Make sure you seal it up properly..
- They should look like this..
- Boil water with a pinch of salt. Make sure you have enough water to totally submerge the pieces and to avoid them from sticking to each other..
- Boil until these babies float..
- Take them out and fry them with the rest of the sautéed onion for about a minute until these babies become golden brown..
- Serve with yoghurt or sour cream on the side. Thanks and enjoy!.