Sweet Rice Dumplings Steamed In Turmeric Leaves.
You can cook Sweet Rice Dumplings Steamed In Turmeric Leaves using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet Rice Dumplings Steamed In Turmeric Leaves
- You need 10-12 of Turmeric leaves.
- You need of For the batter:.
- You need 1 cup of rice.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 cup of beaten rice.
- It’s 1/2 cup of grated coconut.
- You need of For the inner coconut filling.
- You need 1/2 cup of powdered or grated jaggery.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of grated fresh coconut.
- Prepare 1 pinch of cardamom powder.
Sweet Rice Dumplings Steamed In Turmeric Leaves instructions
- Preparing the batter: Soak rice for a minimum of half an hour and grind them in a mixer along with grated coconut, beaten rice, salt and jaggery into a smooth paste using just enough water needed to make a paste. Keep the ground, thick batter aside. Use as little water as possible while grinding the batter as we need a thick, dry batter. If your batter gets watery, it will flow off the turmeric leaves..
- Wash the turmeric leaves carefully, drain all the water and wipe them dry using a cloth. Take care not to tear the turmeric leaves. Keep them aside.
- Preparing the inner coconut filling: In a bowl mix together freshly grated coconut, grated jaggery and cardamom powder. Mix them well. Then add broken puffed paddy to the mixture and mix well. Add in jaggery according to your palate, depending on how sweet you would like your dish to be..
- On a clean working surface place a turmeric leaf and then place a small ladle of rice batter at one end of leaf. Spread it across the length of the leaf using your fingers or a spoon. Leave out the edges of the leaf to avoid spilling out of the batter when you press them closed. The rice batter should be applied as thin a layer as possible..
- Place the inner filling mixture along the spine of the leaf, right in the centre, in the middle of the leaf. Patholi's sweetness also depends on the amount of filling (choornu) you place inside each patholi. So, if you want your patholis to be very sweet then place lots of filling (choornu) in the centre of each leaf.
- Fold the leaf vertically into half, along the spine. Continue this process until all the leaves/rice batter is used up. Place a steaming vessel with sufficient water on a high flame. When the water comes to boil, place the folded turmeric leaves inside the steamer. Cover and steam for 12-15 minutes on a high flame. Once cooked, remove the hot folded turmeric leaves out, peel off the turmeric leaves and serve hot with lots of ghee.